LIST 22 | List the things that make you feel comfortable and secure.
I was given an opportunity to know exactly the answer to this when I pared down everything to live in Toronto while (still) waiting for my home to be renovated. I brought with me only the things I knew I couldn’t do without. The rest was packed up and put in storage. I surround myself with my happy things and events which in turn provide me with a feeling of comfort and safety:
- Tucker + Finn + all dog paraphernalia
- Bill’s photo + Ashes + Annotated Jon Kabat-Zinn Book + Ring + Dimes that met us here
- My favourite king-sized pillow
- Knives + Sharpener + Cutlery + Go-to Utensils
- Just enough clothes + shoes to keep me from getting sick of them
- Books + Journals + Post It Notes + Colourful Pens
- iPhone + dSLR
- BigMac + Printer + Ink + Paper
- Photos + Memories
- Playlists on Spotify + SONOS speakers
- Oracle Cards + Crystals + Meditations
- Courses + Coaches + Inspirational Coursemates
- Cashmere wraps + Mukluks
- Rebounder + Skipping Rope + FitBit + Workout Clothes
- Regular calls and texts with my kids + my friends + my family + Bill’s family who’ve become my family
- A project or ten to keep me engaged and curious
- The consistent phases of the moon + changes of the seasons
- The knowledge that “this too shall pass” the good stuff and the challenging stuff
I will feel fully comfortable and secure when I’m moved into my new home (at ground level) where I can watch the sunsets over the water every night. I’ll be surrounded by my books with shelves in every room. When I can hug those I love without fear of hurting them or them hurting me. It looks like that will happen sometime in mid-August. I’m looking forward to the time I can surround myself with family and friends and laughter and stories and food and wine and fully feel and express the joy of being healthy and alive.
In the meantime, I’m grateful for all of the good things in my life and continue to work on showing up and being the best version of me that I can be.