LIST 12 | List the real-life people whom you admire for their bravery.
Well, this year I have to say I admire anyone who managed to get through the toughest of the inconsistent and often unnecessary restrictions put on families throughout the COVID-19 pandemic – which, for those who don’t know, WE ARE STILL IN.
I admire anyone who puts their health and safety in jeopardy for the greater good of all. Who is that? Among a few (because I can’t possibly know them all):
- Medical workers, especially at the start when no one knew anything. I met a number while Bill was in the ICU. Everyone I met was doing their best to do their best. They showed up every day and their patients were the priority.
- Vastly underpaid and overtaxed grocery store employees; delivery drivers of all kinds (food, mail, ), food prep workers, garbage collection and
- Service workers (police, fire, paramedics, garbage collectors) who put their lives on the line and all of the mental health specialists who help keep people put together.
- All of the small business owners who are being incredibly creative in their determination to stay in business. Their fortitude is to be admired and will (hopefully) rewarded.
- Those who adhered to the restrictions and never left their home for anything but essentials. My dad and his wife never left their home – for over a year. What kind of effect will that have on them? Who knows?
- The countless volunteers who went out of their way to keep people safe in an unsafe time.
I am grateful for everyone who has shown up throughout the pandemic. The way I show my appreciation? I limit my time outside my home and I wear a mask. Likely, I will always wear a mask when I leave the house from now on. To me, it’s a sign of gratitude and respect.
NOTE: I can’t speak to what happened with the education system as I have had zero first-hand experience but I’m sure there was plenty of bravery there, too.