LIST 04 | Close your eyes. Visualize a beautiful and comforting plot of land. List or draw what you see, feel, hear, and smell.
It’s summer and I’m sitting on the back deck of the beach house we visit in Cape Cod.
- As I sit on a deck chaise, with a book in my hand and a cup of tea at my side, in front of me is a lush green lawn, then a hedge with white beach roses interspersed in the deep green foliage. Every once in awhile a tiny brown bunny makes its way onto the lawn. Beyond that is the big bog more dry now that it’s summer, the sand path works its way around and leads up over the dune to the rocky beach and ocean on the other side.
- The sun is high in the vivid blue sky with streaks of white clouds. There is a light ocean breeze, just enough to offset the very first bit of humidity of the season. I can hear the crash of the waves on the rocky beach at high tide and the screeches of the seagulls high above. I can taste salt in the air and breathe it in.
- From the deck, you can see the Lobster Roll float by filled with happy tourists enjoying their lunchtime cruise. Soon the parasailers will be out floating in silence high above us all. The sailboats will be out, too.
- Behind me, through the screen door, I can hear my kids cleaning up their brunch dishes and discussing their plans for the day. I do believe golf and tennis is involved.
- I feel completely content.
This has always been my happy place. I don’t get down there as much as I’d like but have plans this coming summer and autumn. Cape Cod never disappoints.